Mulled wine, variations of which are popular around the world, is wine, usually red, combined with spices and typically served warm. Historically, wine often went bad. By adding spices and honey, it could be made drinkable again. Nowadays, it is a traditional drink during winter, especially around Christmas. Here’s a great recipe from allrecipes.com for a Hot Spiced Christmas Wine for you to try the next few days:
- 2 oranges
- 2 (750 milliliter) bottles red wine
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle white wine
- 1 (3 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, or to taste
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
- Use a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the oranges in strips, being careful to remove only the orange part, leaving the pith behind. Then, juice the oranges into a large, heavy-bottomed pot.
- Pour the red wine and white wine into the pot with the orange juice. Place the strips of orange zest, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and brown sugar into the pot with the wine mixture; stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Cover and heat over medium-high until heated through, but not boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and heat for an hour or longer to bring all of the flavors together. Adjust the sweetness by adding more brown sugar, as necessary. Strain and serve hot with a splash of brandy, if desired.
We hope everyone has a great holiday week! Relax, spend some time with family and loved ones and take in all of the Christmas spirit you can handle! If that’s not enough for you, here are some more events going on around Pittsburgh this week.
1. Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey. It’s a great week for hockey! The Penguins play twice at home this week – Tonight against the New Jersey Devils and Wednesday, December 23 against the Ottawa Senators. Give yourself an early Christmas present and head over to the Mellon Arena to catch a game. Stop by the Carlton for a pregame meal or drink. If you’re not going to the game, come over to the Carlton and watch it with us in our lounge!
2. A Cool Yule. This is a fun activity for the family. Tonight at the Frick Art and Historical Center families with kids of all ages can enjoy stories, interactive tours and holiday art-making. Take away a hand-made ornament for your tree and a family photo in your own frame! Call 412.371.0600 for more information.
3. Spend Time with The Family. It’s Christmas – get together with your relatives and enjoy some family time.
4. Harlem Globetrotters. Always a family favorite, the Harlem Globetrotters, the “Magicians of Basketball” return to the Mellon Arena Saturday, December 26. Make it an evening and visit us before the show for dinner!
5. Serious Comedy Show. There’s no better way to end the week than with a good laugh! Modestly daring and poignantly ridiculous, The Serious Comedy Show takes sketch and improv comedy to new widths on Saturday, December 26 at Cabaret at Theater Square and Backstage Bar.