- The lip of a red wine glass is sloped inward to capture the aromas of the wine and deliver them to your nose.
- California has 847 wineries. Napa County is the home of 232 of them
- The wine industry generates 145,000 jobs in California.
- According to the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, there are 100 calories in a 5-ounce glass of wine. Plus wine is a fat-free and cholesterol-free drink.
- Putting ice and kosher salt in a bucket will chill white wine or Champagne faster
- In terms of acreage, wine grapes rank #1 among all crops planted worldwide
- The scientific community and governmental and public health circles are becoming more and more convinced that moderate wine consumption is in fact associated with a number of positive health outcomes.
- Poor soil quality tends to produce better wines.
- Although red wine can only be produced from red grapes, white wine can be produced from both red and white grapes.
- The wreck of the Titanic holds the oldest wine cellar in the world and despite the wreckage and the depth, the bottles are still intact.
No need to get out your scuba gear, come on down to The Carlton Restaurant where we proudly offer an extensive inventory selected for your enjoyment at affordable prices!
Generally, wine is served in glasses with gently curved rims at the top to help keep aromas in the glass. The thinner the glass and the finer the rim, the better. A flaring, trumpet-shaped class dissipates the aromas.
When tasting wine, hold the wine in the mouth for a moment or two and then either swallow it or, preferably, spit it out, usually into a spittoon. A really good wine will have a long aftertaste, while an inferior wine will have a short aftertaste.