This Week’s Wine Wisdom
Here is a wine and food pairing guide to stimulate your taste buds!
Below you will find very general complementary food and wine pairing recommendations. Use them for reference, as a starting point.
Wine guide for typical dishes:
- Chicken – Chardonnay or lighter reds such as Rioja, Barbera, Grenache, Burgundy
- Green Salad – Herby whites such as Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Blanc.
- Grilled Fish – Light medium bodied whites such as Pinot Grigio, Chablis
- Pasta (red sauce) – Chianti, Zinfandel, Pinot Blanc
- Pasta (white sauce) – Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Viognier, Gavi
- Raw or steamed shellfish – Crisp, acidic wines such as Champagne, Sauvignon Blanc
- Steak – Full-bodied red such as Cabernet, Bordeaux
Wine guide for Asian cuisines:
- Chinese – Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Noir
- Indian – Zinfandel, Chardonnay
- Japanese – Beaujolais, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Thai – Chablis, Chardonnay
Wine guide for cheese:
- Creamy soft brie or camembert – Red Burgundy, Chardonnay, Chablis
- Strong goat cheese –Sauvignon Blanc, Sancerre, Pouilly-Fume
- Hard Gouda – Chianti, Dolcetto, Pinot Noir
- Semi hard cheese – Semillon, Rioja, Sauvignon Blanc
- Smoked cheese – Gewurztraminer, Sauternes, Shiraz
- Strong blue cheese – Sauternes, Port, Hermitage, Madeira
Information provided by BetterTastingWine.com http://www.bettertastingwine.com/pairing.html